W1.1 March 4 Intro class: intro to class, blog, wiki and other assignments——YUERONG WANG

 1.Summary

Why are you taking the class?

Last semester's knowledge. I chose this course for this semester because it offers an in-depth understanding of collective intelligence on the internet from a sociological perspective, with Wikipedia being the focal point of our study. As a free and widely used knowledge-sharing platform, Wikipedia holds significant importance for both my personal and professional development. Through this course, I can delve into the history, operation, and significance of Wikipedia using various learning methods such as readings, lectures, discussions, and practical projects. The course provides an opportunity for practical engagement by allowing me to directly contribute to Wikipedia articles, thus enhancing my understanding of collective intelligence. Additionally, by honing my skills through learning and practice, I am preparing myself adequately for future career endeavors. In summary, I chose this course to enrich my knowledge, enhance my abilities, and establish a solid foundation for future growth.

What PRACTICAL SKILLS do you expect to gain from attention it?

1)Working on Wikipedia articles will require me to conduct comprehensive research to ensure accuracy and credibility. I look forward to enhancing my research skills, including information retrieval and source evaluation.

2) Analyzing Wikipedia articles and participating in discussions about collective intelligence on the internet will help me develop critical thinking skills. I will learn to critically evaluate information, identify biases, and assess the reliability of sources.

2.Interesting points

The interesting aspect of this course lies in its exploration of collective intelligence on the internet and the unique position of Wikipedia within it. Through participation in Wikipedia editing projects, I will have the opportunity to experience the charm of knowledge sharing firsthand, collaborating with volunteers globally to create and edit articles. This hands-on learning approach will deepen my understanding of new modes of information dissemination and explore the forefront of knowledge production in the digital age.

3.Discussion

As Wikipedia is an open platform with editors from diverse backgrounds and positions, I'm curious about its editing guidelines and review mechanisms. How do they ensure the quality of articles?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W10.2 May 10 (Fri)—CHENG SHIYI

W4.1 March 25 (Mon)——LI MENGRU

W1.1 Intro class: intro to class, blog, wiki and other assignments——CHENG SHIYI