A reflexive report blog
Reflective Report: What did I learn while editing Wikipedia?
1. The importance of website selection
The first is the choice of website. In the process of editing Wikipedia, I used many websites that I was not familiar with before, which made me realize my habits, even subconscious behaviors, when using websites. Before I started editing Wikipedia, when I was retrieving information, I would give priority to familiar sites like Baidu. But in fact, this habit is not good, because as a voluntary website, Baidu Encyclopedia’s content is not very reliable. In the process of editing Wikipedia, I came into contact with many reliable websites and databases, which made me realize how important it is to filter information sources. I learned to use some international academic databases, official government websites, and authoritative news media, which provide more accurate and authoritative information. In addition, this experience also made me realize how strict China is in selecting information sources.
2. Grasp the accuracy and reliability of information
The second is to grasp the accuracy and reliability of the information. When editing a Wikipedia entry, I not only need to consult relevant books, but also compare information from different sources to ensure the accuracy of the content. For example, when I edit an entry for a historical event, I consult not only history books but also academic papers, government reports, and news reports. This multi-angle comparison and verification not only improved my understanding of the event, but also enhanced the credibility of the entry. This editing method requires me to have critical thinking skills and be able to identify and eliminate unreliable information to ensure that the content is accurate and objective.
3. Cultivation of collaborative spirit
The third point is the spirit of collaboration. Wikipedia editors come from all over the world. During the editing process, my edits are sometimes modified by others, and I also modify other people's edits. This interaction was a lot of fun and gave me a deep understanding of what collaboration means. Wikipedia's collaborative model allows each entry to be continuously improved and updated, and the power of collective wisdom far exceeds the ability of a single individual. In the process, I learned how to accept criticism, how to make constructive suggestions for revision, and how to communicate effectively with other editors. This collaborative spirit not only improved the quality of the entries, but also benefited me a lot from teamwork.
4. Gaining a sense of accomplishment
The fourth point is the sense of accomplishment. Obviously, the editing task of Wikipedia is more interesting than traditional homework, and it allows me to see the possibility of student work contributing to the world. Traditional homework is closed in the school, and outsiders cannot see the students' homework, while the task of Wikipedia editors is to put students' homework on an international platform. This assignment was checked not only by the teacher, but also by other Wikipedia editors, which made me treat this assignment more rigorously and seriously. Therefore, completing this assignment gave me a greater sense of accomplishment. Seeing your edited content read and cited by others is a sense of accomplishment that traditional assignments cannot provide.
5 Conclusion
Through this practice of editing Wikipedia, I not only improved my information retrieval, writing, collaboration, and technical skills, but also experienced fun and challenges that were completely different from traditional assignments. This kind of practical assignment not only allowed me to learn more, but also made me enjoy the learning process more. I believe that this teaching method will become more and more popular in future education because it not only helps students master knowledge, but also stimulates their interest in learning and creativity. Editing Wikipedia allows me to see the broad prospects of knowledge application, and also makes me more motivated to explore and contribute more valuable content.
Comments
Post a Comment