W15.2 June 14 (Fri) : a reflexive report - Hong gyeongmin(홍경민)

What did I learn while editing Wikipedia?

Through my experiences with Wikipedia, I discovered that it is an open-source encyclopedia accessible to everyone. One of its significant advantages is that anyone can edit articles freely. If someone is knowledgeable about a particular topic, they can contribute by making corrections or additions. Weekly Wikipedia editing sessions allowed me to correct misinformation or add new information, providing more accurate content for others. This activity gave me a sense of fulfillment, knowing I was helping to improve the reliability of information available to the public.

During the course, I also learned various aspects of Wikipedia, such as copyright editing and detailed explanations of its processes. Initially, I assumed that an open-source encyclopedia would contain a lot of incorrect information. However, I was impressed by Wikipedia's strict rules and systems designed to ensure the accuracy of its content. For instance, the "Clean Up" page provides links to articles that need editing, demonstrating Wikipedia's commitment to maintaining high standards of information accuracy. Additionally, the meticulous attention to citing sources for every sentence underscored its efforts to uphold accuracy and copyright standards.


How is this assignment different from more traditional student assignments?

Unlike other assignments, the focus on editing was refreshing. Through this editing task, I noticed that English articles tend to have higher accuracy and detail compared to their counterparts in other languages. For the same topic, English articles often contained extensive information and numerous references, while many Korean articles were sparse and lacked references. To address this disparity, I chose to translate and enhance two movie articles from English to Korean. Early this year, I worked on the Korean Wikipedia articles for "Dune 2" and "Wonka," two films that gained popularity in Korea in 2024. Seeing the increase in article views after my edits was immensely satisfying. This experience solidified my resolve to continue editing Wikipedia articles, not just as an assignment but as an ongoing effort to improve information on topics of interest to me and the broader community.

Furthermore, engaging with Wikipedia has been an eye-opener about the collaborative nature of information sharing. The platform’s rigorous approach to sourcing and the community’s efforts to maintain and improve the content quality have greatly influenced my perception. Each edit, no matter how small, contributes to the broader goal of providing reliable information.

Looking ahead, I plan to keep contributing to Wikipedia. Whether it’s a topic I’m passionate about or one that many others find intriguing, I realize the value in sharing accurate and comprehensive information. This ongoing contribution not only aids in spreading knowledge but also helps in preserving the integrity of information on the internet. By continuing to edit and update articles, I can play a part in supporting the Wikipedia community’s mission to create a reliable and expansive resource for everyone. 


Is it more fun?

My experience with Wikipedia has been incredibly enriching. It has taught me the importance of accuracy, the value of collaboration, and the impact of contributing to a global knowledge base. The skills and insights gained from this experience will undoubtedly influence my approach to research and information sharing in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W10.2 May 10 (Fri)—CHENG SHIYI

W4.1 March 25 (Mon)——LI MENGRU

W1.1 Intro class: intro to class, blog, wiki and other assignments——CHENG SHIYI