W15.2 June 14 (Fri)—LI MENGRU
What did I learn while editing Wikipedia?
While editing Wikipedia, I learned many practical skills. I improved my English writing and editing skills, learning how to present information concisely, clearly, and objectively. During my translation work, due to my limited English proficiency, I sometimes relied on translation tools, which are not always accurate. Therefore, I learned to use tools like Grammarly and ChatGPT to correct English sentences and grammar. Additionally, I learned how to find and evaluate reliable references. The original Chinese article I translated was deemed unreliable, so I had to sift through usable references and find relevant articles and professional journals on platforms like WikiScholar. This was a lengthy process and initially very challenging for me. I also learned to collaborate and communicate with other Wikipedia editors. Often, other editors would suggest improvements or delete parts of my edits. Initially, I didn't understand, but later, I engaged in discussions with other editors to resolve editing disputes. This experience helped me understand the importance of collective wisdom and enhanced my teamwork and communication skills. Through weekly Wikipedia editing, I covered articles on various topics, including politics, culture, and traditions. I learned a lot of new knowledge, broadened my horizons, and gained a deeper understanding of specific fields.
How is this assignment different from more traditional student assignments?
Compared to traditional student assignments, editing Wikipedia requires collaboration with editors worldwide to improve content, which inevitably leads to conflicts and disputes. Resolving these issues requires a friendly and inclusive attitude. Additionally, I think editing Wikipedia is a process of learning practical skills. I can access information on Wikipedia and share my opinions to influence and help others. Other editors also provide valuable feedback, helping me grow and improve. The skills I learn now will continue to benefit me in my future life and work. On Wikipedia, I encounter people from different fields and new topics, which traditional assignments cannot offer.
Is it more fun?
I find editing Wikipedia more interesting for several reasons. Firstly, I can freely choose topics and content that genuinely interest me, which makes the work very engaging and far less tedious. Being able to dive deep into subjects I'm passionate about not only makes the editing process enjoyable but also enhances my motivation to create high-quality content. The sense of accomplishment after completing my edits is incredibly satisfying. Knowing that my contributions can be seen and used by people all around the world gives me a profound sense of achievement. Working with other Wikipedia volunteers adds another layer of enjoyment to the experience. The collaborative environment fosters a sense of community and shared goals. I learn a lot from my fellow editors, who often provide valuable feedback and suggestions that help me improve my work. This interaction not only enhances my editing skills but also builds my teamwork and communication abilities. Additionally, I feel very fulfilled when my suggestions are adopted by others. It's rewarding to know that my input is valued and that I can make a tangible impact on the content being created and refined. This recognition and the collective wisdom of Wikipedia make the entire process more meaningful and enjoyable, encouraging me to continue contributing to Wikipedia.
Comments
Post a Comment