What I Learned While Editing Wikipedia

 In the process of editing Wikipedia, I learned the power of collective wisdom and also learned many things that I usually did not learn in the classroom. In the process of reading the Editor's Handbook, I learned how to write neutral, accurate, and organized content.

What I learned from the editorial manual:

1. Neutral viewpoint: All information is objective and neutral, without personal bias.

2. Verification and trusted sources: Information must be verified and referenced to trusted sources.

3.  Simplicity and clarity: If you don't want to use complex terminology, please keep it simple and clear.

4. Unified Format: The title, citation, table of contents, etc. must be in the prescribed format to ensure the uniformity and cleanliness of the article.

Different from existing tasks:

1. Collaborative Environment: Unlike individual tasks, Wikipedia editors modify and improve projects through team tasks.

2. Audience Disclosure: Wikipedia's readers are not just teachers and classmates.

3. Realistic Impact: The edited content affects many people and has a strong sense of responsibility.

4. Instant Feedback: Other editors will provide quick feedback to help you improve, rather than giving feedback after rating.

5. Dynamic updates: The project will continue to be updated instead of being completed all at once.

Editing Wikipedia is more interesting:

1. Community feeling: Working with global editors creates a sense of belonging.

2. High degree of freedom: You can choose and edit topics of interest.

3. Sense of achievement: Seeing one's contributions being read by many people and feeling satisfied.

4. Continue learning: Editing is an opportunity to learn new knowledge every time.

Editing Wikipedia not only taught me many practical skills but also made me feel the joy and responsibility of knowledge sharing. Compared to traditional work, I am more willing to invest in interaction and a sense of achievement, time, and energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W10.2 May 10 (Fri)—CHENG SHIYI

W1.1 Intro class: intro to class, blog, wiki and other assignments——CHENG SHIYI

W4.1 March 25 (Mon)——LI MENGRU